Are you searching for the best indoor grow lights? Be warned! Your search is not going to be easy. There are many options that you can find on the market and with this, making a decision won’t be an easy feat. This is where we can extend a helping hand. Keep on reading this guide and we will help you make the right decision.
In choosing an indoor grow light, it is not enough that you pick one which comes with a cheap price. You should be able to differentiate one from the other and be responsible to see which one is best. This is exactly the reason why we created this guide – to help you make a well-informed decision.
When looking for the best indoor grow lights, one of the most important is to first determine what type is needed. In this case, the followings are some of the choices that you will be confronted with:
- Incandescent: This is the traditional option for grow lights, which also happens to be the cheapest. They are tungsten filament bulbs, the same ones that are still found in many homes today. They are suitable for vegetables.
- Fluorescent: With a lifecycle of about 20,000 hours, its price is slightly higher than what you would spend on incandescent light bulbs. They can be placed even close to the plants because they create no or minimal heat.
- High Intensity Discharge: More popularly known as HIDs, they have been around since the 1960s. They are available in different types, including High Pressure Sodium, Low Pressure Sodium, and Metal Halide lamps. They can produce a lot of heat, so additional ventilation will most likely be required.
- Full-Spectrum Fluorescent Lights: This is basically like a fluorescent light, except for the fact that it is more innovative. However, there are many people who stay away from this option because of its high cost.
- LED: They are amongst the most innovative options within the product category and gained reputation because of their energy efficiency. They are not only small but also easy to mount. They have exceptional lifespan and can be dimmed. There is no wonder why there are many people who believe that this is the best choice when it comes to indoor grow lights.
Essential Factors to Consider
When searching for indoor grow lights, the different factors that will be mentioned in this section are some of the most important to be taken into account.
For most people, the first consideration when choosing a grow light is the price. More often than not, many will be tempted to choose the cheapest product that is available in the market. However, keep in mind that price is not always enough consideration. More often than not, if the grow light comes with a cheap price, the operating costs in the long run will be higher. It is better to use more expensive grow lights because in the long run, they consume less energy, and hence, they will be cheaper to operate. In addition, if you want excellent quality, be ready to spend more!
Having a hard time deciding which one to pick for the best indoor grow light? One thing that you should do is to read the reviews of other people. You can go online and look at what others have to say about a specific product. You can also ask around from family and friends who have used grow lights in the past. You can use their opinions and experiences to differentiate your options, making it likely that you will end up with a decision that you will not regret.
3. Light Intensity
You should also consider the specific types of plant that you will grow, and based on this, choose the light intensity that will prove to be appropriate. Many seedlings may not grow regardless if they are directly exposed to sunlight. This is where the use of grow lights enters the picture. In order to determine the light intensity, take a look at the wattage of the bulb. Aside from the wattage, you can also consider how close the bulb light will be positioned on the plant in order to gauge its intensity.
You should also consider how long the light will last, which will be indicative of value for money. If you want it to provide the best bang for the buck, make sure that it is going to withstand many years of use. Incandescent light bulbs have a lifespan of 750 to 1,000 hours, 20,000 hours for fluorescent grow lights, and more than 50,000 for LED bulbs. The latter is the best choice when looking about lifespan, even if its cost is typically higher than other options in the market.
5. Energy Efficiency
For many people, there could be hesitations with the use of grow lights because it is going to consume electricity. With the rising costs of energy, this is surely a valid concern. Therefore, more than just being budget-conscious, but also demonstrate your efforts to promote environmental sustainability, you should choose grow lights that are energy-efficient. This gives you another good reason to consider LED above other alternatives. It can deliver optimal performance in the absence of consuming too much energy. This is easy for the wallet and good for the environment.
Top Picks for the Best Indoor Grow Lights
In this part of this guide, we will have a quick look at some of the best options that can be taken into account, as well as some of their most notable features.
1. Hydroplanet T5 Grow Lights
T5 grow lights, like this model, are known for their energy efficiency, making it an excellent choice when it comes to cost implications. Even if you leave it turned on for an extended period of time, there is no need for you to be worried about energy consumption.
Another important feature that is worth noting about this model is the plug and play ballast. This means that once it is received and taken out of the box, there is no need to worry about its installation. It will be ready to be used in a snap.
You will also love how it can offer versatility in terms of its configuration. You can hang it horizontally and vertically. It can also be daisy chained. You will have the freedom to have it set based on what the application requires.
It comes with an aluminum powder coated housing, although there are some who noted that the surface is a bit prone to denting, which makes it important to have it handled carefully.
- Setting up the light will require minimal effort
- Comes with a cheap price and provides excellent value for money
- Provides light quality comparable to the sun
- The wires that hang from the light are quite flimsy
- Can be easily prone to denting
2. VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series 300-W LED Grow Light
Energy efficiency – this is perhaps one of the best things that you can expect from this model. This can be attributed to the fact that it is LED, which can be expensive, but in the long run, it can deliver excellent value for money.
In order to guarantee that their product is going to withstand a long time of use, the manufacturer offers three-year warranty. In addition, you will be given thirty days to test the product, and if you are unhappy in any way, you can have it returned and a refund will be given.
In many grow lights, a lot of people have complained that they easily get hot. In the case of this model, however, you will not have to worry about such thing. It has a fan and heat sink. This will lead into effective dissipation and will prevent it from getting hot.
Lastly, it is also worth noting that it has high light intensity, which can be easily compared to what you can expect from sunlight. This makes it useful for a wide array of applications.
- Can be controlled with the use of the included timer
- Comes with a rugged design, making it long-lasting
- Designed with internal fans
- Its use is limited for indoor applications
- May not be as effective when it is used in dense plants
3. Galaxyhydro LED Grow Plant Light 300W
The cooling system is one of the most impressive things about this model. It is integrated with two cooling fans, which are basically the ones responsible for heat dissipation. This means that you do not have to worry about burning the plants even when it is placed close to the light.
The lifespan of this grow light is also worth noting. It is impressive that it is a LED grow light, which means that on average, it can last for more than 50,000 hours, a feat that is unmatched by other types of grow lights.
You will also find it impressive that this is a full spectrum light. There are nine bands that are intertwined, including infrared and ultraviolet light. With its complete spectrum, this means that it can provide the light that is needed by the plants in all of the stages in their growth.
Another thing to love about this indoor grow light is the fact that it is dimmable, making it possible for you to customize the light output based on the intended applications.
- Consumes energy efficiently
- It can be placed close to the plants without burning them
- Comes with cooling fans for improved heat dissipation
- Wattage is a bit minimal compared to other options
- Can be a bit small for some indoor gardens
4. Super Nova SN300 Full Spectrum Grow Lamp
This grow light comes with 100 pieces of high-powered LEDs, which are basically the ones responsible for creating a full spectrum of light, including infrared and ultraviolet. This will provide the plants with a light output similar to what it can possibly get from the sun.
The Nova Ventilation System that is integrated in this model is one more feature that deserves to be given emphasis. It has fans that are three times more silent compared to the traditional options. It stays cool as it operates.
It also has daisy chain feature, which is one of the reasons why it is impressive when it comes to being user-friendly. Setting it up does not need to be complicated, even for someone who has not used a grow lamp in the past.
Lastly, this product has also been given words of praises because it has extensive warranty. It is covered for five years and the manufacturer also provides money-back guarantee that lasts for thirty days.
- Provides users with complete control on the photosynthetic process
- High power output
- Provides light for a huge space
- Can be a bit dim
- Too expensive for some users
5. Swiftrans 300W Full Spectrum Indoor Grow Light
While there are many things that you will surely find to be impressive about this product, one that is worth highlighting would be the fact that it includes an ultraviolet function. This is the one that is responsible for the sterilization and the elimination of bacteria that could possibly be damaging for the health of the plants.
Most of the grow lights that you can find in the market are equipped with cooling fans, which are needed for heat dissipation. This model is better because it is designed not with one or two, but three fans, maximizing its ability to combat heat.
This grow light also allows daisy connection. This means that if there is a larger surface area that should be covered, you can have it linked with other lights with the use of a recommended power cord.
Lastly, it has ten-band full spectrum, which provides it with the capacity to trigger optimal plant growth, regardless of what it is that you intend to grow.
- Comes with three fans for superior cooling performance
- Has an infrared for increased plant yield
- Can be connected with similar lights
- Does not come with dimmable feature
- Lights can be too bright and blinding
From all of the models that have been mentioned above, if we have to pick one, it would be Galaxyhydro LED Grow Plant Light 300W. It is perfect for small indoor gardens as it can deliver energy-efficiency and a full spectrum of light. This will provide the lighting that is essential for the survival of the plants. In addition, it also has cooling fans allowing it to combat heat.
Is there any model that you can also recommend for the best indoor grow lights? Have you used any of the models above? Feel free to leave a comment!