There are many external factors that are essential for the growth of plants. Among others, one of the most important is sunlight, which is critical in supplementing the nutrients that a plant needs to grow. Indoors, however, it is a challenge for plants to thrive because the external environment can be unfavorable. This is where the importance of DIY LED grow light enters the picture.
In this post, we’ll share with you how to make a LED grow light on your own. No need to spend a lot and you do not even have to exert too much effort. Yes, it might not be easy, but as long as you follow the right steps, it will be possible.
How to Make a DIY LED Grow Light
There are different ways to create a LED grow light depending on your personal preferences, but in general, the steps below are what you should follow:
- The first thing that you need to do is to look for a panel where you will build the lights. Next, drill the appropriate holes while paying attention to proper spacing and size. You will need at least six holes for the lights. Use a ruler and marker to specify where you have to drill the holes. See to it as well that there is space for the wire to pass through.
- Attach your LEDs on the panel with a glue. Measure the entire panel and form even squares, which will tell you where specifically you have to glue the LEDs. The terminals should face at the same direction, which will make wiring simpler.
- Next, proceed to soldering. This is one thing that you have to do with utmost care as you will be using a tool that can cause injury. Cut a wire based on the length of the terminals. Strip a small portion from the end of the wire. Make sure that you solder the terminal’s positive end with the negative end so that you will create two connections.
- Bolt the drivers into the panel. You have to raise the drivers, which will help to improve heat management and air circulation.
- The next thing that you have to deal with is the provision of power, which is obviously important to keep the grow light working. Choose from 120 to 220-volt plug to determine the supply of power. Connect the wires with the corresponding drivers.
- Now that your LED grow light is ready, it is time to proceed to mounting. Pick a place indoors where you want to put it. The light must be at least six inches from the top of the plant. This will actually depend on the type of plant that you are growing. Aside from proper positioning, you also need to provide cooling. Position the grow light in a place with ventilation. You can also place a fan at the back or side of the light to keep it cool.
With a DIY LED grow light, indoor gardening can be a lot easier. Even without direct sunlight, your plant can thrive in an artificial environment that supplements the light and heat that it needs. A best LED grow light can be expensive. The good thing is that you can easily make one on your own by following the steps that we have mentioned above.