If you are a DIY enthusiast who invests in power tools, electric saws are some that you should have. While there are many saws that are available, two of the most popular are miter saw and table saw. If you are a novice, you will be overwhelmed and find it hard to determine how the two are different from each other.
Clueless about which one is the better choice for your cutting needs? In this guide, we will discuss miter saw vs table saw, making it easier for you to decide on which one is more suitable for your needs. In the end, you will realize that they both have different functions, although they are also similar in some ways.
What is a Miter Saw?
This is a special equipment, which has the primary purpose of cutting at different angles. You can use it for creating miters and crosscuts. It is important to note that their function is exclusive to creating cross cuts and never for long rip cuts. There are different types that are available in the market, which include standard miter saw, compound miter saw, double compound miter saw, and sliding compound miter saw.
What is a Table Saw?
Also known as a saw bench, this is one of the most common tools that you will find in any woodshop. It is a circular saw blade that protrudes from the surface of the saw. The blade moves up and down as it cuts, which also allows it to do so at varying depths depending on the chosen setting. There are different types that are available, which include benchtop, contractor, cabinet, and hybrid table saw.
Miter Saw Vs Table Saw
Below, we will explore some of the differences between the two, which will make it easier for you to decide which one will work best for your needs:
- Cutting Surface: If you see the two types of saws, it will be easy for you to realize that a table saw is built with a larger surface area. The table-top provides a space for making larger cuts. This is as against a miter saw, which usually has a cutting area of only four to 15 inches.
- Cutting Angle: The miter saw is a good choice if you are looking for a saw that can make cut at different angles. It has pre-sets that will allow you to cut up to 50 degrees. It is also possible to be cutting your chosen material in both ways, unlike in the case of a miter saw where you can cut only in one way. Because of the minimal width of a table saw, its cutting angle is also limited.
- Cut Quality: This is another aspect where a table saw wins over a miter saw. In the case of a table saw, you can expect precise and consistent cuts. With a miter saw, you need to make careful measurements prior to making a cut.
- Versatility: A lot of us cannot invest in multiple tools, especially because they are expensive. It is good to choose one that can deliver multiple functions. In this case, you have another good reason to pick a table saw. While it is unable to cut a lot of angles, it has different attachments that will allow you to use the saw in more ways than one.
- Cost: A miter saw is the more affordable option between the two, which is basically because it has limited functions. The higher price of a table saw is justifiable, considering the fact that it offers versatile functions.
Which one is better – miter saw or table saw? This is a question that has no straightforward answer. The choice will depend on a number of factors, such as budget and intended use. Nonetheless, speaking in a general sense, it would be safe to say that a table saw is a better option. It may be a more expensive saw, but the good thing is that it is versatile and it can deliver cuts with better quality.