The carrot (Daucus carota) is a root vegetable that has so many nutrients. Now, it has become the ultimate super food after scientists have completed many types of research.
Haven’t you wanted to know the real nutritional value in carrots? This post will explain it in detail. So for what are you waiting? Let’s go on a journey to discover the many mysterious wonders about carrots!
Some Fun Facts about Carrots
- Carrots the magic drug has a great history too. Initially, we grew carrots as a form of medicine!
- Greeks and Romans believed they were an aphrodisiac.
- The Britain in 1400s saw the first carrots historically, though it was cultivated in Afghanistan originally.
- The ancient carrot ancestor was not orange; it was the Dutch who developed the strain for the orange tones. Before, they were white, purple, red, green and yellow.
- The longest grown carrot was 19 feet 18.9 lb.
- Your skin turns yellowish orange by eating too many carrots due to
- During the Second World War, soldiers sang the song ‘Carrots keep you healthy and help you see in the blackout.’ You will understand in this article why those soldiers were damn correct!
It is the complete nutrition food for our body just 100 g of carrots have 7.6 carbohydrates, 0.7 mg iron, 0.6 protein and 0.3 g fat.
It is tasty, crunchy and highly nutritious food. In particular, carrots are an excellent source of vitamin K, fiber, potassium, beta-carotene, and antioxidants.
Look at Some Great Vitamin and Minerals Found in Carrots
- Vitamin B1B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Vitamin B8, biotin, and best part again, Dietary fiber four g-14%
- In 128 g of carrots, a humungous 557% is Vitamin A
- Vitamin C 13 %
- Vitamin K 11%
- Folates 5%
- Niacin 6%
- Riboflavin 4%
- Pantothenic acid 5.5%
- Pyridoxine 10%
- Thiamin 6%
- Calories 52
- Carbohydrate 12 g that is 4%
- Best part again, Dietary Fiber four g-14%
- Energy 41 Kcal
Protein and Minerals
- Protein 1 g
- Copper 5%
- Calcium 4 %
- Iron 4 %
- Zinc 2%
- Phosphorus 5%
- Magnesium 3%
- Manganese 6%
- Selenium < 1%
- Sodium 69 mg or 4.5%
- Potassium 6.5%
No fat, saturated fat, no trans-fat, and best part no cholesterol.
Seven powers of the mighty carrot
- Carrots detoxify liver and help in removing acne, by eliminating the toxins responsible.
- Help prevent uneven skin tones that were due to pigmentation.
- Vitamin A the beauty restorer prevents skin blemishes and dry skin
- Biotin helps you get shiny hair.
- Protects from ultraviolet rays adverse action.
- Carrot juice in summers acts as a sun block.
- Repairs damaged skin tissue
- Beta-carotene lowers cellular aging
- Keeps skin moisturized.
- Help in producing collagen to prevent wrinkles.
- Reduces dryness and scarring.
- Carrots prevent the onset of colon, colorectal, lung, prostate and breast cancer.
- Falcarinol and carotenoid antioxidant are that anti-cancer compounds.
- It is carrots natural pesticide to protect from fungal diseases from the ground.
- Only carrots have this wonder drug naturally.
Lowers Risk of Stroke
Harvard University research has proved that people who ate more than six carrots a week have lower chances of suffering strokes. Beta carotene is that nutrient that prevents stroke.
- Beta-carotene is an antioxidant that fights free radicals.
- Slows aging cells down.
- Fights many negative results of aging.
- Age-related cataracts.
Gives Better Vision
- The eye’s retina needs Vitamin A to work well. Lacking it could lead to blindness.
- Beta carotene converts to Vitamin A in the liver.
- Vitamin A converts to rhodopsin in the retina, which is a purple pigment helping night vision.
- Helps prevents macular regeneration.
- Humans who consumed more beta carotene have 40% lesser chances of getting macular regeneration.
- Prevents cataracts in older people.
Fights Heart diseases
- Carotenoids from carrot help lower risk of heart diseases.
- Daily intake of carrots reduces LDL cholesterol.
- Soluble fiber lowers blood cholesterol.
- Removes Cholesterol triggers from the bloodstream by binding and filtering out bile acids.
- Have antioxidants like beta-carotene, lutein, and alpha-carotene that fight cholesterol.
- Prevents heart attacks.
Fights Dental Problems
- Munching on carrots after a meal eliminates plague and dirt acting as abrasives.
- Triggers saliva that helps clean teeth by balancing acidity and bacteria.
- Minerals in it kill germs in our mouths that damage tooth.
Improves Liver Function
- Antioxidants and vitamin A remove environmental toxins from the liver.
- Reduces bile and fat from the liver.
- Dietary fiber in carrots aids digestion
- Regular bowel movements
- Prevents Constipation
- Prevents Acid reflux
Fight Blood Sugar
- Carotenoids help regulate your blood sugar
- Moreover, Inversely affects insulin resistance.
- Alkaline elements in carrots help regulate blood sugar.
Carrots are associated with various other benefits; they help in lowering impotence and sexual dysfunction. It prevents night blindness and reduces a long-term cough, cold, and even gas problems. It also helps to a blood clot and increases immunity. Carrots work best for lactating mothers and prevent diseases in unborn babies. Moreover, all you bodybuilders start munching carrots since they help develop muscles too!
Now doesn’t this prove that carrot is a wonder natural medicine? Stop wasting so much energy, time and money on improving your health. All you need to do is to start eating fresh carrots every day. Just add these bright, juicy and crunchy snacks to your diet every day and forget about meeting the doctors ever! Eat and drink juice from about five carrots daily.
Do give your valuable comments in our comment section below. We will be happy to include any new information on carrots and answer to your questions too!