While a pressure washer can prove to be a useful equipment for a number of DIY tasks, there are many factors that will be influential of its performance. Among others, it is important that you pay attention to proper care and maintenance, which will provide you with an assurance that the machine will deliver its best performance regardless of the job that it needs to accomplish.
From the different parts of the pressure washer, the pump is one that is used the most. It can be easily subjected to wear and tear. Proper lubrication is important to make it work at its best. With this, in the rest of this post, we’ll let you know the top options for the best pressure washer pump oil substitute. To add, we will also have a brief discussion on how to keep the pressure washer in its best condition.
Best Substitutes for a Pressure Washer Pump Oil
In most cases, pressure washers use an all-purpose engine oil. This is a good choice if the operating temperature is at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Nonetheless, this will only be a good choice of oil if you live in an area where there is temperate climate. Otherwise, the following are some of the substitutes that you might want to consider:
- Non-Detergent Oil: Because one of the main uses of the oil is to clean the pump, most manufacturers opt to use detergent in their list of ingredients. Non-detergent oils, however, can be excellent alternatives because they are free from additives. They can provide the necessary lubrication while also making sure that the pump will run even at a cool temperature.
- Synthetic Oil: There are many types of synthetic oils that are available in the market today, many of which are excellent as a substitute for the oil that you are currently using in your pressure washer pump. It offers protection in all temperatures. At the same time, it also improves the consumption of oil while also improving starting power of the engine or the pump.
Maintenance of Pressure Washer Pump
The use of the right pressure washer pump oil substitute is just one part of the equation. Aside from using the right oil, below are some of the most important maintenance tips that you have to keep in mind:
- One of the most important is to change the oil in a regular manner and to make sure that you are using the right type of oil. As oil circulates in the pump, it is able to pick up dirt and grime. It makes the oil thicker, and hence, makes the engine exert more effort as it works. Changing the oil will make things a lot easier.
- Do not run the pump when it is dry. Provide the pump with the liquid that it needs. Similar to how humans need water for hydration, it is also critical for pressure washer pumps to be able to provide a cooling effect and to prevent the engine from overheating.
- Consult with the manual from the manufacturer. Follow the instructions on how to execute routine care and maintenance to keep the pressure washer functioning at its best. Pay attention as well to how often you need to perform a deep cleaning of the pressure washer.
In sum, it is not enough that you know the best pressure washer pump oil substitute to use. Having the right oil is not a sufficient guarantee that your equipment will deliver optimal functionality. At the end of the day, you also need to know the basic maintenance tips, such as routine cleaning.