Strawberry is among the largest hybrid species that belongs to genus fragraria. It is a runner that grows close to the ground. They are known for its attributes like the aroma, fresh red color, sweet flavor, texture. It is consumable in large quantities throughout the world. The mode of consumption is fresh or in various other forms.
Other forms like ice creams, preserves, milkshakes, chocolates, pies. We know that the research field is growing as the number of genetic hybrids is increasing. Researchers have recently ranked strawberry among top 10 fruits. Strawberries work best, and it acts as a best anti-oxidant source.
Did you know?
- Strawberry do not categorize as a fruit as its seeds are present outside and not on the inside.
- And the vibrant red color is due to large quantity of anthocyanidin (antioxidant)
- Technically, the strawberry is a fleshy part that is not derived from ovary but from an organ that holds it.
Strawberry is an eminent point of supply of vitamins like C, and K. Vitamin C is widely known for its immunity boosting property. Vitamin A and vitamin E are also present in trace amount. These play a huge role in aging.
They also own a good dose of fiber, folic acid, manganese, and potassium. As we increase the content of fruits and vegetables, the mortality decreases significantly.
Strawberries fights against:
- Heart Disease
- Blood Pressure
- Eye health
- Prevents wrinkles
- Reduces inflammation
Different Type of Strawberry Plants
Strawberries come in expensive mélange of commercially accessible cultivated varieties. Cultivars differ on various attributes like when the ripening of fruit will occur. The freezing quality, size, shape, resistance to microorganism and flavor distinguishes the strawberry types.
Different type of strawberry plants grows differently in different environment conditions. These conditions majorly depend on the development of flowers in response to day length. Every different variety has a different fruiting pattern. Day length entirely depends on the season. There are three main seasons:
- Early season
- Mid-season (Early, Mid, Late)
- Late season
The three major types of strawberry plants are:
- Day neutral
- Early bearing
- Short day
June bearer is a very great option if you are looking for freezing your product and using it later on. They can also of great use when we have to produce jellies. They are available in all seasons throughout early summer.
Alba. Annapolis, Carmarosa, Earliglow, Emily. Hokowase, Mohawk, Orleans, Veestar, Benton, Wendy, Cavendish, Chambly are the few varieties.
- Carmarosa berry plant is a short day early-season cultivated variety. Fruit is larger and firmer than Chandler. It is flat conical and has a good appearance, and it is widely used be for fresh-market and processing.
- Chambly strawberries are high yielding in nature. This variety is a genetic hybrid between sparkle and Honeoye. It is also resistant to cold temperature.
- Earliglow strawberry plant is an early producer of medium-sized berry. The size decreases greatly as the season progresses. This makes it difficult for u-pick farms to sell the fruit that ripes The plant is resistant to red stele and verticillium wilt moderately.
- Benton berry plant is a June bearing cultivated variety. Fruit is bright in color, is conical in shape. Benton has excellent fruit quality. It is good for home gardeners as well as commercial growers. It is drought, virus, and red stele.
- Cavendish plant is a variety with resistance to red stele and verticillium. It also has black root rot tolerance. It produces large, high-quality berries. The flavor is sweet and less tart than Honeoye, and it ripens mid-season.
Ever bearers produce a good product when the daylight is for more than 12 hours. These cultivated varieties produce fewer runners so that it is easier to manage. But it harvests less when compared to June bearing strawberries.
These strawberries can produce fruit when the daylight is for more than 12 hours. This usually results in a moderately heavy crop in early part of summer, and a light crop in late summer or fall. The total harvest of ever bearers will be less than the single crop of June-bearers. So, you may need to buy new plants when it is time to renovate the bed.
Bolero, Calypso, Flamenco, Quinault, all-star and Fort Laramie are some of the varieties of ever bearing.
- All-star berry plant has an almost ideal shape of a strawberry. It is one of the dominant varieties during the mid-late season. The firm, glossy fruit is an excellent home garden or u-pick choice. All-star is resistant to red stele. It is a vigorous plant. It is moderately resistant to leaf scorch and powdery mildew.
- The Fort Laramie berry plant is cold resistant and does well in colder areas. The fruit is Bright, Large and firm and has a dark pink pigment from inside. The aroma of fruit is exceptional. It is chiefly eaten fresh and is of use for freezing and preserving. It is a high yield product and has a huge amount of runners.
Day neutral is a mid-season fruit, so not much fruits form when the temperature is too hot. The main difference between day neutral and others is the fruit size. The size is comparatively smaller.
Totem, Tillamook, Seneca, sapphire, Puget Reliance, Mesabi, Kent, Lucy, jewel, hood, Honeoye, Albion, aroma, hecker are some of the varieties of day neutral.
- Albion strawberries are famous for the size of its fruit which is large. Fruit is conical and firm. It is high yielding cultivated variety with robust stalks and runners.
- Aroma produces high yields of late season fruit. It has broader tolerance to the environment and is resistant to mites of the spider.
- Hecker plant has a huge commercial potential as the produce is high. Fruit is medium in size with awesome flavor.
- Monterey plant is a moderate day neutral cultivated variety. It requires much more space than Albion. The produce size is much larger than Albion but less firm.
- Portola is a strongly cultivated variety. It is shinier than Albion and has an earlier ripening season. The only drawback is that it is less tolerant to rain.
- Seascape strawberry plant produces large and firm fruit consisting good color and flavor. They are on the whole large berry with a glossy This variety is tolerant to virus diseases and is susceptible to leaf rot in moderation.
- Tristar strawberry plant produces medium to small fruit. It is among one of the favorites of home gardeners. Tristar is resistant to red stele. It is tolerant to powdery mildew and verticillium wilt to a certain degree and leaf scorch.
- Mesabiberry plant is a mid-season winner for growers in northern areas. As it hardly shows winter damage. This cultivar produces large, firm berries that are red all the way through with a good flavor. The plants have a high tolerance to red stele root rot.
Short day cultivar variety includes Camino real, Shuksan:
- Camino real plants are compact, smaller, open, but less vigorous than Camarosa. Fruit is larger, and yield is greater than Camarosa when compared per plant. Camarosa plant is much lighter than the Camino real plants. The Camino Real plant is A-number-1 for both processing and fresh market.
- Shuksan strawberry plants have bright, large, glossy red fruit. The seeds are present with a slight yellow tint. The fruit has firm flesh. It is excellent for freezing and preserving purpose. Shuksan plant produces runners without restraint and is quite large. It is resistant to virus and also Botrytis tolerant. Does not even needs proper drainage.
Strawberries are something people of all ages love to consume. Well, if you liked the content and wanted to know more feel free to like, comment and share.